Skip to main content

MillenniumCon 20 - Ogre and Hordes of the Things

Another year, another great MillenniumCon ! Attendance was up this year! That's great to see new players showing up. That's another testament to the success of our little convention.

Typically, I'll spend a lot of time with administration of the event. This year, I wanted to participate in more games. So, I made myself scarce around the registration table. It seems like when I am close to that area, some kind of task comes up. My attention gets pulled in some direction.

I got to play in Desert Scribe's Ogre Miniatures game called, the Siege of Steelville. Click on the link to see his battle report. Scribe always puts on a good Ogre game!  I was part of the team defending the city, which suffered not one, but TWO cruise missile detonations. I wish I could say how bad I feel about letting the nukes past the defense perimeter, but in the post-apocalyptic genre, there's gonna be a nuclear detonation from time to time.


I also participated in the Annual Hordes of the Things tournament hosted by Blake. Sadly, there was only one other player in the tournament, the estimable James.  Always a fun game with him. Blake let me borrow one of his armies, which was a late Roman era army. James' army was a brigade of US Army plastic soldiers. So, we played a best-of-three series, which I was able to win! This is now my second championship in this tournament.

For some reason, I forgot to take any photos of the HotT battles.

Blake was also disappointed by the turnout. The HotT tourney used to draw at least a dozen players on a regular basis. It was apparent this year that the interest has moved to other game systems. I guess that is bound to happen with every game system eventually. Blake will consider having the tournament at another venue on a different weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gulf Strike - Turns 20, 21 and 22

The "Soviet-Persian War" continues using the Gulf Strike rules . The fighting continues as both sides suffer from limited supply points. Turn 20 - US/Iran still have the initiative In the Air: US F-111 aircraft start bombing missions from Konark air bases. They hit the Soviets around Karmanshah in an effort to help the Iranian defenses. B-52s bomb stacks of Soviets around Karmanshah. Soviet Backfire bombers hit an Iranian hovercraft flotilla in port and sink it. The flotilla did not represent any strategic importance, except to help Soviets gain the initiative by counting more hits. On Land: SpecOps use Long Range Recon Patrols to help B-52s and F-111s hit Soviet targets at Karmanshah. Soviet Mechanized Divisions have Karmanshah surrounded and continue the assault despite US air support. At Sea: BB Wisconsin begins bombardment of the Yemen base to allow US carrier task group to pass the Arabian peninsula safely. Yemen base launches Su-24 bombers to intercept the BB a...

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank...

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle. I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here ). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate. The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the r...