Skip to main content

Gulf Strike - Turns 18 and 19

The "Soviet-Persian War" continues using the Gulf Strike rules.

The Soviets are moving further south in Iran. The Americans now have supply chain problems. There are two points of failure.
  1. A Soviet heavy cruiser is bombarding the supply head at Diego Garcia
  2. The supply chain has been broken at Konark.


Turn 18 -
  • In Air; F-4s bomb a supply depot in Afghanistan, further weakening the Soviets there. Soviet Backfires make a conventional bombing attack on Iranian Militia in Hamadan, but the militia gets some incredibly lucky rolls and put a hit on the bombers. This forces the bombers to retreat. Su-24s provide close air support for the assault on Hamadan and Qom.
  • On Land; SpecOps raids destroy a truck unit in Afghanistan. Soviets push out the remaining militia and capture the holy city of Qom.
  • At Sea; The Soviet CA is finally sunk by an American SSN. This is the last Soviet naval unit in the Indian Ocean. US heavy transport ships reach the friendly port in Somalia.

Turn 19 - Soviets regain the initiative.
  • At Sea; CV-68 moves north to attack the Yemen base. Most the US naval units move further north. There are no more Soviet units to contest the waters.
  • In Air; CV-68 launches a sortie of A-6 bombers but it repulsed by Mig-23s protecting the base. Backfires make another bombing run on Iranian militia protecting Hamadan and is successful. CV-68 launches another sortie, escorted by F-14s. The MiGs launch to intercept and drive away the F-14s. The remaining A-7 and E-6 are shot down!  Su-24s continue to bomb the defenses in Hamadan.
  • On Land; The last Iranian armor brigade is defeated and the Soviets capture Hamadan.
On this turn, the US commander (me) had and inexplicable stretch of bad luck.  I rolled a 'ten' (worst die roll result on d10 dice) at least 7 times!! I've been very lucky for most turns but turn 19 was deadly due to bad die rolls.
The Soviets now control eight cities; Tabriz, Rasht, Zanjan, Tehran, Qazyin, Mashad, Qom and Hamadan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gulf Strike - Turns 20, 21 and 22

The "Soviet-Persian War" continues using the Gulf Strike rules . The fighting continues as both sides suffer from limited supply points. Turn 20 - US/Iran still have the initiative In the Air: US F-111 aircraft start bombing missions from Konark air bases. They hit the Soviets around Karmanshah in an effort to help the Iranian defenses. B-52s bomb stacks of Soviets around Karmanshah. Soviet Backfire bombers hit an Iranian hovercraft flotilla in port and sink it. The flotilla did not represent any strategic importance, except to help Soviets gain the initiative by counting more hits. On Land: SpecOps use Long Range Recon Patrols to help B-52s and F-111s hit Soviet targets at Karmanshah. Soviet Mechanized Divisions have Karmanshah surrounded and continue the assault despite US air support. At Sea: BB Wisconsin begins bombardment of the Yemen base to allow US carrier task group to pass the Arabian peninsula safely. Yemen base launches Su-24 bombers to intercept the BB a...

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank...

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle. I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here ). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate. The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the r...