Skip to main content

Smited by Flames of War

I've finally jumped onto the Flames of War bandwagon.  There is just too many players around my community and so much buzz about this game that I couldn't live as an outsider any longer. So, this year's birthday list included the Flames of War 3rd edition rulebook at the very top. My lovely wife was willing to oblige my request.

I called my friend and local FoW guru Biff and we put together a little 1000pt battle. Biff was the Germans and I was the steadfast British paratroopers. I asked that we stick with mostly infantry troops for this battle. I wanted to get more experience with the game and learn more about the tactics that make infantry successful.

My forces included.

Airlanding Company (British)
Airlanding Company HQ
2 Cmd SMG Teams
1 PIAT Team
85 pts
3 Airlanding Platoons 1 Cmd Rifle/MG Team
1 PIAT Team
1 Light Mortar Team
5 Rifle/MG Teams
660 pts
Airlanding Anti-Tank Platoon
1 Cmd Rifle Team
2 OQF 6-pound guns
85 pts
Airlanding Light Battery 2 Cmd Rifle Teams
1 Staff Team
1 Observer Rifle Team
2 M1A1 75mm pack Howitzers

140 pts

The Germans began with some of the units deployed on the board, some more units including two StuG tanks to arrive on turns 1-3, and some units deployed hidden on the map. Two objectives were placed on the board for me to capture and hold. Biff dropped one of his platoons on the nearest objective and dug in.

I setup the paratroopers in a line across the board since I didn't know where all the Germans were deployed.  I slowly advanced the troopers ahead of the light artillery. We made it to the road before the hidden platoon revealed itself and fired. The StuG's arrived and stationed themselves right in the middle of the map.

Paratroopers advancing on the dug in German platoon. Another German platoon is deployed hidden in the buildings.
I started dropping artillery fire on the StuG's and amazingly the dice rolls went my way. The light 75mm howitzer took out one tank! Biff was stunned at the sight. He had never before witnessed a German tank destroyed by light artillery.  

Beginner's luck I'd guess.

One of my platoons was pinned down by a sniper and it spent most of the game in a fruitless effort to kill the sniper.

Biff pulled the remaing StuG around the houses and tried to flank my troopers. The 6-pounders were there to meet him.

Despite all the success against the tanks, my infantry got chewed up by the concealed platoon. We called the game when it was clear that I had no chance of pushing the Germans off the objectives.   

Sounds like I'll need another training game with the infantry.

Now that I have the third edition rules, I am most excited about the fact that I can participate in the annual Flames of War tournament of which Biff is the coordinator. It is a major event in our local gaming community and it always has a good turnout. I'll have to borrow an army from some kind-hearted individual as I doubt I could assemble my own 1500pt FoW army by September.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank

ReaperCon - Live Vlogging

Hey all! This year, I made the trip to ReaperCon in Denton, Texas.  This is new for me because I have never been to this convention and I am more focused on the gaming rather than the painting segment of the hobby. But I do want to improve my painting skills and learning from better painters is a way to improve. Another new challenge was that I decided to do a video blog of my experience at ReaperCon. aka a 'VLOG'.  This is a new way to share content with friends and hobbyists and it was exciting to try. And I was able to take the trip with my brother who lives out of state, that made it fun as well. We took classes, painted figs, took the factory tour, and entered the painting competition all in just three days! Below is the link to the VLOG playlist. Most the videos are less than 10 minutes long. All the videos together comes out to 56 minutes if you play them all in order. Enjoy!

Team Yankee Night

Our local Team Yankee community has a regular game night called 'Cold War Thursdays'. I was able to make it out to the store about a month ago. Chris had enough USMC figs to make a 75 point list for me to use. He took an equivalent West German force. We played out a NATO-v-NATO version of the Hasty Attack scenario. I am currently building a list that is heavy on Cobras and Hueys. Chris had plenty of air units to choose from. So, I grabbed all the Hueys and deployed them with a platoon of Marines loaded inside. The Leopards were absolutely deadly! The majority of my force was wiped out by three of them. My Humvees were the only unit that could even put a scratch on them. The Hueys were useful at moving troops forward quickly. I was able to drop the Marines nearby an objective. There was a squad of grenadiers inside a house close enough to still hold the objective. Except for the Leopards, most of the Germans were wiped out quickly. The Marines cleared the hou