Skip to main content

National WWII Museum and Korean Tank Assault

My wife and I recently took a trip to the wonderful city of New Orleans. If anyone is considering a vacation I highly recommend New Orleans. The city is dynamic and fun. There are plenty of great restaurants and bars. Plus, the history of the city is fascinating! My wife and I were treated to a great tour of the city by our aunt and uncle who lived nearby. It was a wonderful trip.

The most exciting place we visited (well, for me anyway) was the National World War II museum. If you have any interest in historical miniatures, then this museum should be on your short list of places to see.

Our visit to the museum started when we stepped into the wonderfully air conditioned main hall. The hall housed some impressive hardware. There were some restored vehicles parked in line just inside the doors. They included a Stuart tank, a Sherman tank, a Willys Jeep, a half-tracked vehicle, and several versions of the Higgins boats.

Hanging from the ceiling were a restored P-51 Mustang, a C-47 cargo plane and an SBD torpedo bomber.




The main hall is open to the public and you don’t have to pay admission to see the vehicles there.  We got tickets to go into the museum to see the displays and presentations. We decided to view the European theatre wing. Inside was the most impressive collection of WWII small arms, personal equipment and uniforms.  There were examples from both U.S. army and German Wehrmacht.


Sadly, we didn’t have enough time to see the second wing of the museum that included items from the Pacific theatre.  But, we did make time for lunch.

If you go, I highly recommend that you eat at ‘The American Sector’, a restaurant inside the museum. Order the rueben sandwich. You won’t be disappointed. The wife and I both agreed, the best food we had in all of New Orleans was at the museum and that’s really saying something.

When we returned home, the Cold War Commander group got together for a game. It was decided there weren’t enough players present that day to play the next scenario in the NATO v. Warsaw pact campaign.  We opted for a non-campaign game with the setting of the Korean conflict of 1948-1951.

Mark Bravi was able to bring his collection of 1/72 scale tanks. The tanks were actually Matchbox toys sold at Target but the details on the tanks were excellent.  Mark had brought enough vehicles to have a very non-historical tank assault battle. I doubt the Koreans would have ever committed so many tanks to a single battle.
Bird's eye view of the battle

Anyway, the battle that ensued was a tank commander’s dream. There were no infantry or artillery, just simply tanks versus more tanks. Joe and I took the U.N. Peacekeeping forces which included Churchill’s and Sherman’s. Mark and Wes took the North Koreans with Chinese J-2s, Su-122s and T-34s. Three objective markers were placed on the map; left, center and right.  Joe and I decided to leave a small platoon in reserve to arrive on turn 3.  Mark and Wes did the same but chose to bring the reserves in on turn 2.

Joe’s tabletop is huge and perfect for most war games. But, it was small for this scale and tanks started firing at each other on turn one.
Shermans on fire

On the left, we had the Churchill’s, which made an angry charge toward a line of T-34s.  The T-34s were too much for the Churchill’s and destroyed more than half of the group.

In the center, a huge platoon of Sherman’s advanced on the center objective, placed in the middle of  a small village. On the opposite side of the village were a line of J-2s and Su-122 tank destroyers. The cannon fire was unrelenting as 1 or 2 tanks of each side were destroyed per turn.
Commies trying to hold the center

On the right, another group of Sherman’s pounded on a group T-34s.  The T-34s were caught out in the open and suffered more casualties than the Sherman’s.
The bloody right flank

For most of the game, it appeared that the UN forces would have to retreat.  The overwhelming firepower from the T-34s started to take a toll.  But, the North Korean commanders had dismally low command ratings.  In order to bring in the NK reserves, they had to pass a command roll.  Unfortunately, they failed every command roll to bring on the reserve.  In addition, there were several turns where lack of command ability left the NK units unable to move or fire. The UN forces, with much better command ratings, were able to successfully bring on its reserves on turn 3, which turned the tide of the battle
T-34s

Eventually, the NK lost too many tanks to make any attempt to hold the objectives. Victory went to the UN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank

ReaperCon - Live Vlogging

Hey all! This year, I made the trip to ReaperCon in Denton, Texas.  This is new for me because I have never been to this convention and I am more focused on the gaming rather than the painting segment of the hobby. But I do want to improve my painting skills and learning from better painters is a way to improve. Another new challenge was that I decided to do a video blog of my experience at ReaperCon. aka a 'VLOG'.  This is a new way to share content with friends and hobbyists and it was exciting to try. And I was able to take the trip with my brother who lives out of state, that made it fun as well. We took classes, painted figs, took the factory tour, and entered the painting competition all in just three days! Below is the link to the VLOG playlist. Most the videos are less than 10 minutes long. All the videos together comes out to 56 minutes if you play them all in order. Enjoy!

Team Yankee Night

Our local Team Yankee community has a regular game night called 'Cold War Thursdays'. I was able to make it out to the store about a month ago. Chris had enough USMC figs to make a 75 point list for me to use. He took an equivalent West German force. We played out a NATO-v-NATO version of the Hasty Attack scenario. I am currently building a list that is heavy on Cobras and Hueys. Chris had plenty of air units to choose from. So, I grabbed all the Hueys and deployed them with a platoon of Marines loaded inside. The Leopards were absolutely deadly! The majority of my force was wiped out by three of them. My Humvees were the only unit that could even put a scratch on them. The Hueys were useful at moving troops forward quickly. I was able to drop the Marines nearby an objective. There was a squad of grenadiers inside a house close enough to still hold the objective. Except for the Leopards, most of the Germans were wiped out quickly. The Marines cleared the hou