Skip to main content

HotT Battles and the Mysterious 'cocked' dice

Hello fellow gamers!  It's been too long since my last real post. My gaming time has been less of late but that trend should turn around now.

I participated in a 'Hordes of the Things' game day with fellow blogger and host, Desert Scribe and several friends from the LHSM group. The original plan for the event was to have a HotT tournament but we never got enough players to make a proper single elimination tournament.  So, we gathered and had a series of battles in which we just squared off against each other.

Five players were represented
  • My 'League of the Scarlet Falcon' army - mostly Warhammer Fantasy Empire figs
  • Blake's Warhammer Chaos Knights army
  • Johnny's Late Imperial Roman army
  • Scribe's 'Sons of Muspel' and 'Nightmare Legion' army
  • Ted's Samurai Warband
The first battle was a 3 vs 2 battle with 72 points per side.  Me and Scribe vs. the rest.  We struggled with PiPs and just couldn't get the army into proper line to engage the enemy. Blake had a large contingent of blade units holding the middle of the board and I didn't deploy my mounted units very well to engage them. The other side was rolling extremely well and I think it had something to do with Blake's mysterious 'Hot Dice' bowling shirt. Legend says it brings the bearer unnatural good fortune. Sadly, Scribe and I were brought down to below 50% of the starting army in just a few turns.

Full view of 3 v 3 mass battle.

We followed up that game with some 1 vs. 1 battles.  I drew Johnny's Roman army.  I always look forward to a battle against the Romans. Johnny and I always fight a tight battle. I was defending.  But, this time Johnny improved his Romans and brought a Paladin unit with the legion. Johnny was able to flank my main line with his Hero general and Paladin. The pally and the hero rushed straight to my stronghold.  The paladin made it to the stronghold but luckily he failed to capture it.  I managed to win with the majority of the kills at the end of the game.


The Roman Paladin with mirrored shield.

Sometime during the battle with the Romans, I managed to cock a die on the table in such a way that the die was balanced on the corner.  The 3, 5 and 6 sides were all facing up! I continued the game by using other dice but the 'cocked' die stayed in place for over 30 minutes!

Is this a good omen?

In a second 1 vs. 1 battle, I fought Scribe's Nightmare army. The battle was lost fairly quickly as the the evil 'Skull Chucka' artillery cut down my units as my lines approached the bony hordes.

In the final match of the day, Scribe and I teamed up again vs. Blake alone with two 24 pt armies.


Blake managed to break through my line of spears and placed a unit of riders behind my hero general.  When the Hero lost against Blakes' two ranks of spears, he was unable to recoil and the game was lost.

It was a long day of disappointing losses, but as they say a bad day of HotT is better than a good day at the office! My itch to play some HotT was sufficiently 'scratched'. Thanks to Desert Scribe for hosting the event, it was a lot of fun!

More photos available on my Picasa site.
HotT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle.

I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate.

The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the results we…

Star Fleet Battles, Klingon Armada

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…  There was a game called Star Fleet Battles.  It was a rules bloated, counter and hex, mess of a spaceship combat game. And… I loved it!

Yes, it’s true. This statement alone could give my readers reason to suspect my mental stability.

The game was loathed by some players, revered by some players and possibly both loathed and revered by many others.

So, what was it that drew me to this game? I am a self-described Trekker and this game IMHO was the best simulation of ‘Star Trek’-style starship combat ever made. The game was so detailed that it really gave players a sense that the simulation could be based on actual starships.  For the analytical players , the tactics were rich and engaging with new strategies to consider with every new ship design.

Games like this often come with a rulebook so large that you might be killed if you were to fall asleep while reading it. SFB is no exception. The original game included ships from only seven races common…

LotR/Hobbit SBG Tournament

Not a whole lot to post this week. I'm starting on the late war elements of my US Rifles list. This will be used at the next FoWSA tournament.  More about that in a later post.

Back in June, the local Lord of the Rings/Hobbit SBG group held a tournament. Most of the players have moved on to play more Bolt Action but we all wanted to get together again for some fun in Middle Earth. I brought my venerable Wood Elf army, led by Legolas and Thranduil. I really love those guys!

The new Hobbit rules have not been kind to the Wood Elves. They have weak armor ratings (3) but are supposed to be balanced with a strong ranged attack from massed archery. Most of the players are bringing armies with much higher armor ratings (5 minimum, 6-7 for many heroes) such as Easterlings and Dwarves. Monsters such as Trolls and Dragons have new special attacks that are even more effective to the squishy elves. Given the style of play that has developed, the Wood Elves just really aren't a competitive…