Skip to main content

GuadaComaCon and Paper Terrain

GuadaComaCon 2013 will be held on August 17th and I’m looking forward to it! This will be the first year I’ve attended this convention and I’ve signed up to run a couple of games.

First up will be a multiplayer Song of Blades and Heroes scenario where five objectives will be placed on a large map.  Four of the objectives are hidden inside four ruined buildings.  The fifth objective will be out in the center of the map and in plain sight.  Each ruin has a different terrain challenge inside for the players to overcome such as a bog, blade grass or a rope bridge.  Objectives will each have a random value in victory points.  The objectives take 2 actions to pickup and the team with the most victory point at the end of the game wins.  Game play continues until one team remains on the board.

In this game, the ruins will be large structures, dimensions 12”x 8”,  and I needed to find some simple walls with doors or openings.  There is nothing like that in my current inventory.

So, I went to the Wargame Vault and downloaded some of the fine Dave Graffam Models – Archway ruins.  These are high quality PDF files that can be printed on heavy paper and quickly assembled.  The images on these files are of top quality and can be modified to suit your needs.  Several wall textures are included such as red brick, grey brick, tudor house, and stone.  You can even embellish them with grime, mold, bullet holes, and rubble

I printed off the pieces I needed on some heavy card stock paper.  This did not seem thick enough for my use so I cut the paper walls and pasted them to a large piece of mat board.  Then, with a razor box cutter, I carved out the mat board and assembled.
The finished product looks very nice for a print-and-play terrain.  The best part about it is if I need more, I can always print more.  The printer ink could get used up if I print with the highest quality but I think the overall cost is much less than trying to build or purchase resin or plastic models for the same purpose.

Second, there will be a ‘Hordes of the Things’ tournament run by Blake. This will be on 60mm bases in a style he likes to call “HotT-Hammer” which is to say the figures are typically 28mm Warhammer fantasy figs placed on 60mm wide bases.

To put a spin on the standard tournament, Blake will allow a minor swap out of units between rounds.  Thus, I can take my usual army (The League of the Scarlet Falcon: 1-HE general, 1 MG, 1 KN, 1 Rd, 1 WB, 3 SP, 2 SH) and substitute in some other units, perhaps more warbands.  I’ve got more figures on the workbench for exactly this purpose.  Those guys will now go to the front of the line to get painted. 
Warbands in progress

Third, if there is time left and players interested, I’ll run my GURPS-Prime Directive game just to scratch the RPG itch.  This will be the same game I ran at ChimaeraCon 2010 with some improvements to the storyline.  Details of my GURPS-PD campaign can be seen on the Obsidian Portal website.


Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle.

I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate.

The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the results we…

Battleship Texas and Monte Cassino

Earlier this month, my brother and I attended the Texas Broadsides! mini-convention. What makes this event unique? Unlike other events that take place in a hotel or meeting space, this convention happens on board the battleship U.S.S. Texas!

A little primer about the U.S.S. Texas (BB-35). It's a US Navy battleship that has seen service in the "Tampico Incident" and both World Wars. It is one of the oldest battleships remaining in the world. It was first launched on 18 May 1912. It was first installed with coal-fired boilers and was converted to oil-fired boilers sometime between the World Wars. It was also the first US battleship to have anti-aircraft guns installed. Rather than retell the ship's remarkably long service record, I'll just direct you to the Wikipedia page at for more details.

Currently, the ship is moored at the San Jacinto State Historical site and is open to the public as a museum. Most of the lowe…

Spring Catchup Post

The months of February through April are the hardest months for me to make new blog posts.  I really don't know what causes this drought yet is seems very cyclical.

Despite the lack of posts, there has not been a shortage of games being played.  So, rather than trying to write AAR's for all the games played over the past few months, I'll just post up some photos of the most recent game sessions.  I did participate in a Lord  of the Rings SBG 'Doubles' tournament which deserves it's own post and AAR.  For now here is a montage of the latest battles.