Skip to main content

Force-on-Force and Marine Boarding Operations

One of my favorite ways to spend a lazy summer afternoon is by taking a quick trip to the local Half Price Books. I just never know what I might find there. On this most recent visit, I picked up a copy of Force on Force by Ambush Alley Games. It is a miniatures game designed to recreate modern era skirmish level battles from 1950's to the present. Typcial forces include, SAS commandos, Navy Seal Teams, Marine Recon, Spetznaz, Middle East Insurgents and so forth.

I've only browsed through the rules so far but it appears to be promising.  The designer notes that the game puts an emphasis on the quality of the soldiers and not on the type of weaponry. This makes sense to me. I imagine any soldier from any modern army would be well trained and deadly at close range with just about any kind of slug throwing weapons in their possession. 

Strangely, this game does not provide any army lists. There are no point systems to build an army. Everything is based on scenarios that determine the number of troops and tactical objectives. I can appreciate that because there is no potential for min-maxing like many other skirmish games.

The book stays true to the setting by including some excellent military jargon to describe certain aspects of modern conflicts. Scenarios are separated into "Kinetic Operations", in which armed belligerents meet up and shoot it out; "Non-Kinetic Operations", which include counter-insurgency engagements; and "Asymmetric Engagements" which involve regular units against irregular forces.

I am excited to try this game out!  Any scale of miniatures is acceptable and there is no specific manufacturer for the figures. So, I'll need to go out and start collecting an army. There is an intriguing expansion book called Classified - Special Operations Missions, which is a book of scenarios inspired by actual events.

Anyone have experience with these rules?  What miniatures would you recommend?

On a similar topic, I recently read a very unusual book, USSMC FM 7-22: Space Boarding Operations. I picked it up at one of the dealer tables at OwlCon. This is a fun little book for anyone who likes science fiction mixed with military adventure. (Think 'Hammer's Slammer's' or 'Starship Troopers') It is a field manual for military commanders in the imaginary US Space Marine Corps but is written with all the style and prose of a real-world training manual. Some of the authentic details include lousy typesetting and photo copied illustrations typical of a book published by a military contractor. The first chapter provides a narrative history of a near-future sci-fi setting. The rest of the book is all business. It includes an overview of boarding operations, how to write a five paragraph field order, close quarter combat training principles, and squad level room clearing techniques. The book is endearing in it's authenticity and is written by someone who clearly has experience in writing field manuals. Recommended reference for science fiction authors, tabletop war gamers, or fans of the Halo video game series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank

ReaperCon - Live Vlogging

Hey all! This year, I made the trip to ReaperCon in Denton, Texas.  This is new for me because I have never been to this convention and I am more focused on the gaming rather than the painting segment of the hobby. But I do want to improve my painting skills and learning from better painters is a way to improve. Another new challenge was that I decided to do a video blog of my experience at ReaperCon. aka a 'VLOG'.  This is a new way to share content with friends and hobbyists and it was exciting to try. And I was able to take the trip with my brother who lives out of state, that made it fun as well. We took classes, painted figs, took the factory tour, and entered the painting competition all in just three days! Below is the link to the VLOG playlist. Most the videos are less than 10 minutes long. All the videos together comes out to 56 minutes if you play them all in order. Enjoy!

Team Yankee Night

Our local Team Yankee community has a regular game night called 'Cold War Thursdays'. I was able to make it out to the store about a month ago. Chris had enough USMC figs to make a 75 point list for me to use. He took an equivalent West German force. We played out a NATO-v-NATO version of the Hasty Attack scenario. I am currently building a list that is heavy on Cobras and Hueys. Chris had plenty of air units to choose from. So, I grabbed all the Hueys and deployed them with a platoon of Marines loaded inside. The Leopards were absolutely deadly! The majority of my force was wiped out by three of them. My Humvees were the only unit that could even put a scratch on them. The Hueys were useful at moving troops forward quickly. I was able to drop the Marines nearby an objective. There was a squad of grenadiers inside a house close enough to still hold the objective. Except for the Leopards, most of the Germans were wiped out quickly. The Marines cleared the hou