Skip to main content

Post-MillenniumCon Report

Whew! My life has been a whirlwind for the past 9 weeks. It started out at the end of September when my wife and I sold our house and moved into a 500 sq ft. guest house for a few weeks. We moved all our possessions into a storage unit, then moved it all out of storage into a new home. Just shortly after that, I was informed that our convention director was having problems with his heart and was rushed off to the hospital just a week before the convention. This meant that I would have to pick up the directorial duties for the entire convention!

The whole weekend, we struggled with organizational problems. The convention started on Friday afternoon in Austin, TX, which is about a two-hour drive from my home in San Antonio. I was the single staff member present when the conventions started at noon. No registration materials, no operating cash, no t-shirts, no programs, no snack bar available at the time the convention began. It was the living definition of "winging it"! Fortunately, the one other staff member arrived with his wife around 1pm with most of the materials we needed.

The final tally for the three-day convention was 170 participants, 12 vendors, 85 game events.  While this was down from last year's results, we still made more money than we spent. Most of the events were historical miniatures with a light sprinkling of boardgames and RPGs. We held several tournaments including Saga, Bolt Action, Flames of War, DBA and Hordes of the Things!

So, in spite of all the complications and minimal staff, the convention was a success by most accounts. We got a fair number of kudos from the attendees. There was plenty of smiling faces and lots of raucous laughter. Many 6's were rolled and there was even one Viking Berserker War Cry heard throughout the convention hall. I'm not sure of the sequence of events that lead to the War Cry, but I believe it had something to do with a competition to win some prize support form Gripping Beast.

I've posted some photos in a G+ photo album for you to view and enjoy.
Millennium17

I've got a few videos as well. They will be posted my YouTube channel .

Desert Scribe was present at the convention and he ran an awesome scenario with Ogre Miniatures. He also scored some great stuff at the flea market and vendor room. As for me, I was so busy managing the convention that I spent little time shopping. But, I did manage to get a few good items.

A bunch of Steve Jackson games from the 1980's.


A trio of WWI British tanks


A bag of bits for use in mods or whatever.


An awesome custom SAGA measuring stick!


And my most exciting acquisition was a 4 foot-wide custom built map of the Alamo in 15mm!
The iconic facade of the chapel

Wider view of the whole fort

I've always thought the San Antonio gamer community needed a Alamo map and now we have one! I discussed many scenario options with friends who were glad to provide suggestions. Of course, we can run the battle as the history books have recorded it, but that would be terribly boring in my opinion. The most popular idea was to do a Martians vs. the Alamo game using the tripods from 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' and I think that will have to be done! Another alternative history concept was to presume that Santa Anna was a cultist and instead of besieging the Alamo with human soldiers, he would summon the ancient gods of the Mayans to attack and enslave the Texans. Regardless of scenario, I'm sure we will get alot of fun out of it!

Does anyone have any good convention horror stories?  Any tales of true disaster?  How about a recommendation of a convention that is run very well? I am certainly interested to hear how others run their conventions.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank

ReaperCon - Live Vlogging

Hey all! This year, I made the trip to ReaperCon in Denton, Texas.  This is new for me because I have never been to this convention and I am more focused on the gaming rather than the painting segment of the hobby. But I do want to improve my painting skills and learning from better painters is a way to improve. Another new challenge was that I decided to do a video blog of my experience at ReaperCon. aka a 'VLOG'.  This is a new way to share content with friends and hobbyists and it was exciting to try. And I was able to take the trip with my brother who lives out of state, that made it fun as well. We took classes, painted figs, took the factory tour, and entered the painting competition all in just three days! Below is the link to the VLOG playlist. Most the videos are less than 10 minutes long. All the videos together comes out to 56 minutes if you play them all in order. Enjoy!

Team Yankee Night

Our local Team Yankee community has a regular game night called 'Cold War Thursdays'. I was able to make it out to the store about a month ago. Chris had enough USMC figs to make a 75 point list for me to use. He took an equivalent West German force. We played out a NATO-v-NATO version of the Hasty Attack scenario. I am currently building a list that is heavy on Cobras and Hueys. Chris had plenty of air units to choose from. So, I grabbed all the Hueys and deployed them with a platoon of Marines loaded inside. The Leopards were absolutely deadly! The majority of my force was wiped out by three of them. My Humvees were the only unit that could even put a scratch on them. The Hueys were useful at moving troops forward quickly. I was able to drop the Marines nearby an objective. There was a squad of grenadiers inside a house close enough to still hold the objective. Except for the Leopards, most of the Germans were wiped out quickly. The Marines cleared the hou