Skip to main content

Post-MillenniumCon Report

Whew! My life has been a whirlwind for the past 9 weeks. It started out at the end of September when my wife and I sold our house and moved into a 500 sq ft. guest house for a few weeks. We moved all our possessions into a storage unit, then moved it all out of storage into a new home. Just shortly after that, I was informed that our convention director was having problems with his heart and was rushed off to the hospital just a week before the convention. This meant that I would have to pick up the directorial duties for the entire convention!

The whole weekend, we struggled with organizational problems. The convention started on Friday afternoon in Austin, TX, which is about a two-hour drive from my home in San Antonio. I was the single staff member present when the conventions started at noon. No registration materials, no operating cash, no t-shirts, no programs, no snack bar available at the time the convention began. It was the living definition of "winging it"! Fortunately, the one other staff member arrived with his wife around 1pm with most of the materials we needed.

The final tally for the three-day convention was 170 participants, 12 vendors, 85 game events.  While this was down from last year's results, we still made more money than we spent. Most of the events were historical miniatures with a light sprinkling of boardgames and RPGs. We held several tournaments including Saga, Bolt Action, Flames of War, DBA and Hordes of the Things!

So, in spite of all the complications and minimal staff, the convention was a success by most accounts. We got a fair number of kudos from the attendees. There was plenty of smiling faces and lots of raucous laughter. Many 6's were rolled and there was even one Viking Berserker War Cry heard throughout the convention hall. I'm not sure of the sequence of events that lead to the War Cry, but I believe it had something to do with a competition to win some prize support form Gripping Beast.

I've posted some photos in a G+ photo album for you to view and enjoy.
Millennium17

I've got a few videos as well. They will be posted my YouTube channel .

Desert Scribe was present at the convention and he ran an awesome scenario with Ogre Miniatures. He also scored some great stuff at the flea market and vendor room. As for me, I was so busy managing the convention that I spent little time shopping. But, I did manage to get a few good items.

A bunch of Steve Jackson games from the 1980's.


A trio of WWI British tanks


A bag of bits for use in mods or whatever.


An awesome custom SAGA measuring stick!


And my most exciting acquisition was a 4 foot-wide custom built map of the Alamo in 15mm!
The iconic facade of the chapel

Wider view of the whole fort

I've always thought the San Antonio gamer community needed a Alamo map and now we have one! I discussed many scenario options with friends who were glad to provide suggestions. Of course, we can run the battle as the history books have recorded it, but that would be terribly boring in my opinion. The most popular idea was to do a Martians vs. the Alamo game using the tripods from 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' and I think that will have to be done! Another alternative history concept was to presume that Santa Anna was a cultist and instead of besieging the Alamo with human soldiers, he would summon the ancient gods of the Mayans to attack and enslave the Texans. Regardless of scenario, I'm sure we will get alot of fun out of it!

Does anyone have any good convention horror stories?  Any tales of true disaster?  How about a recommendation of a convention that is run very well? I am certainly interested to hear how others run their conventions.

Comments

  1. Wow, the Alamo was a great find. I'm very jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle.

I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate.

The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the results we…

Star Fleet Battles, Klingon Armada

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…  There was a game called Star Fleet Battles.  It was a rules bloated, counter and hex, mess of a spaceship combat game. And… I loved it!

Yes, it’s true. This statement alone could give my readers reason to suspect my mental stability.

The game was loathed by some players, revered by some players and possibly both loathed and revered by many others.

So, what was it that drew me to this game? I am a self-described Trekker and this game IMHO was the best simulation of ‘Star Trek’-style starship combat ever made. The game was so detailed that it really gave players a sense that the simulation could be based on actual starships.  For the analytical players , the tactics were rich and engaging with new strategies to consider with every new ship design.

Games like this often come with a rulebook so large that you might be killed if you were to fall asleep while reading it. SFB is no exception. The original game included ships from only seven races common…

LotR/Hobbit SBG Tournament

Not a whole lot to post this week. I'm starting on the late war elements of my US Rifles list. This will be used at the next FoWSA tournament.  More about that in a later post.

Back in June, the local Lord of the Rings/Hobbit SBG group held a tournament. Most of the players have moved on to play more Bolt Action but we all wanted to get together again for some fun in Middle Earth. I brought my venerable Wood Elf army, led by Legolas and Thranduil. I really love those guys!

The new Hobbit rules have not been kind to the Wood Elves. They have weak armor ratings (3) but are supposed to be balanced with a strong ranged attack from massed archery. Most of the players are bringing armies with much higher armor ratings (5 minimum, 6-7 for many heroes) such as Easterlings and Dwarves. Monsters such as Trolls and Dragons have new special attacks that are even more effective to the squishy elves. Given the style of play that has developed, the Wood Elves just really aren't a competitive…