Skip to main content

WiP - 105mm Artillery

No game reports this week. Just some progress on my Flames of War US list.

I opened my box of Battlefront 105mm artillery. There are lots of components to this unit! There are four guns with custom bases and five figures to go with each gun, a custom base for the artillery command team, one stand for the observer, one stand for the HQ team, and one jeep. My list includes a second jeep for some reason. Luckily, I have an extra jeep already base coated.

The guns are metal and in spite of the good packaging, they were badly bent and needed to be straightened into place. I stumbled on a good trick of placing the guns on the grid of my craft mat and using the grid as a reference. This helped tremendously.

I base coated the guns and jeeps with Vallejo Brown-Violet, the un-official "green" of the US Army. And I used the handy Testor's spray paint kit. This really saved some time.

The custom bases were resin. I had never worked with resin before so I primed it just to be sure. The bases are full of character and lots of boxes of the ammunition. I Googled a great WWII photo of two soldiers holding munitions with the label "Easter Eggs for Hitler" painted on them. I love the photo and will try to integrate that message on the models somehow.

The artillery HQ base included a makeshift table with an obvious space for maps to be placed on it. I found an typical terrain map on Wikipedia, shrunk it down to 1/100th scale, printed it, and glued it to the table. From two feet away, it makes a convincing little map.

Map from Wikipedia

Next step is to paint the troops, then jeeps, then paint the bases since the bases are actually modeled already. 
Artillery after applying the wash


Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle.

I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate.

The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the results we…

Star Fleet Battles, Klingon Armada

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…  There was a game called Star Fleet Battles.  It was a rules bloated, counter and hex, mess of a spaceship combat game. And… I loved it!

Yes, it’s true. This statement alone could give my readers reason to suspect my mental stability.

The game was loathed by some players, revered by some players and possibly both loathed and revered by many others.

So, what was it that drew me to this game? I am a self-described Trekker and this game IMHO was the best simulation of ‘Star Trek’-style starship combat ever made. The game was so detailed that it really gave players a sense that the simulation could be based on actual starships.  For the analytical players , the tactics were rich and engaging with new strategies to consider with every new ship design.

Games like this often come with a rulebook so large that you might be killed if you were to fall asleep while reading it. SFB is no exception. The original game included ships from only seven races common…

Battleship Texas and Monte Cassino

Earlier this month, my brother and I attended the Texas Broadsides! mini-convention. What makes this event unique? Unlike other events that take place in a hotel or meeting space, this convention happens on board the battleship U.S.S. Texas!

A little primer about the U.S.S. Texas (BB-35). It's a US Navy battleship that has seen service in the "Tampico Incident" and both World Wars. It is one of the oldest battleships remaining in the world. It was first launched on 18 May 1912. It was first installed with coal-fired boilers and was converted to oil-fired boilers sometime between the World Wars. It was also the first US battleship to have anti-aircraft guns installed. Rather than retell the ship's remarkably long service record, I'll just direct you to the Wikipedia page at for more details.

Currently, the ship is moored at the San Jacinto State Historical site and is open to the public as a museum. Most of the lowe…