Skip to main content

Mid-War FoWSA Tournament AAR

The Mid-War FoWSA (Flames of War-San Antonio) tournament was held on July 9th. I was very happy to participate with a complete army list! I lost every game but still had a blast!
The Competitors

The list I used was a US Rifle Company from the North Africa book. FoWSA requires a list of 1700pts for rounds 3-4, and a half-size 850pt list for rounds 1-2. Rounds 1-2 are played on a half table 3'x4'

My 850 point list:
HQ Command Carbine team w/ 2 bazookas
Rifle Platoon w/ 6 teams, 1 bazooka
Weapons Platoon w/ 4 M1919 LMGs, 3 60mm mortar teams
Anti-Tank Platoon w/ 3 57mm AT guns
Armored Platoon w/ 4 M4A1 Shermans

My 1700 point list:
HQ Command Carbine team w/ 2 bazookas
Rifle Platoon w/ 9 teams, 1 bazooka
Rifle Platoon w/ 9 teams, 1 bazooka
Weapons Platoon w/ 4 M1919 LMGs, 3 60mm mortar teams
Mortar Platoon w/ 4 mortar teams, 2 bazookas
Anti-Tank Platoon w/ 3 57mm AT guns
Armored Platoon w/ 4 M4A1 Shermans
Parachute Rifle platoon w/ 8 teams, 1 bazooka, 1 60mm mortar
Field Artillery Battery w/ 4 M2A1 105mm howitzers, staff team, observer w/ jeep.

This is an infantry heavy list with 5 infantry platoons. I was expecting to meet plenty of tank companies so I invested in as many bazookas as the rules allowed.


First Round: 850 point list vs. W. Silliman - German Afrika Schutzen
Scenario: No Retreat
First up was a typical German infantry list with lots of MGs and a stolen Soviet KV-1 tank. I thought the tank was kinda gimmicky and didn't expect to see another one all day. He defended. I approached one objective with my troops and pushed against the second objective with the tanks. He had AT guns left in ambush and popped them out on my Shermans. Once those were dead, my infantry had no chance to assault the massed MG fire.
Loss: 6-1

The objectives were too close together

Yours truly, assembling the formation
I attempted to assault the multiple MG teams by running over the hill.

Second Round: 850 point list vs. C. Jackson - Italian Paracadutisti
Scenario: Free-for-All
Next opponent was an experienced player running Italians. Those crazy Italians decide how hard they want to fight each morning. This is reflected in a die roll that determines his units' quality before the game started. Most of them ended up confident trained. I popped my tanks over a ridge and fired on the units that were guarding the objective. They fired back with AT guns and forced most of my tanks to bail. He charged the other objective with his little Marder III platoon. He contested the objective and I was forced to assault.  The assault succeeded and his Marders were driven off the battlefield. but he was able to pull up his best troops behind the tanks and take the objective.
Loss: 5-2

A long line of Italians


Third Round: 1700 point list vs. C. McKenzie - Finland Jaakarikompania
Scenario: Hasty Attack
This round I faced the Finnish player on a desert table. Not exactly historical. Strangely, he also had two stolen Soviet KV-1 tanks and some stolen T-28. I defended and left one of the objectives lightly defended hoping that my reinforcements would arrive on turn 3. They arrived on turn 5 but just in time to stop his elite troops from taking the objective. He pushed his tanks toward the other objective and took that one.
Loss: 6-1

Fourth Round: 1700 point list vs. A. Douglas - German Grenadiers
Scenario: Surrounded
I faced my friend A. In this scenario, the defender(me) sets up in the middle of the table and the attacker comes from both sides. I dropped the artillery on the objective and setup my AT guns and Shermans to point in opposite directions. This was a problem because they could not support each other. He defeated my AT guns with a surprise! Another stolen KV-1! He wiped out the artillery easily and won the game.
Loss: 6-1






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Trek Miniatures Games

This past weekend, I had a game of Starmada with my friend Ken. He and I have been long time Trekkies. We both wanted to try a Star Trek miniatures battle. Ken even purchased the 10-pound grab bag of Starfleet 2400 miniatures from Amarillo Design Bureau. I have been gathering some plastic minis from bargain bins at local game stores and I borrowed a set of metal Starfleet minis from another friend. Between the two of us, we had enough figs to setup a reasonable sized skirmish battle.

I attempted a game of Starmada before with Desert Scribe (some photos are here). We were both unfamiliar with the rules and struggled with some the details. In my recent game, Ken and I did much better but there we still made a few mistakes in game play. Ken played the Federation faction with a 1x Command Cruiser, 1x Heavy Cruiser, and 1x Frigate.  I took the Klingon faction with 1x D7C command cruiser, 1x D6 cruiser, and 1x F5 Frigate.

The game took three hours to complete despite the fact the results we…

Star Fleet Battles, Klingon Armada

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away…  There was a game called Star Fleet Battles.  It was a rules bloated, counter and hex, mess of a spaceship combat game. And… I loved it!

Yes, it’s true. This statement alone could give my readers reason to suspect my mental stability.

The game was loathed by some players, revered by some players and possibly both loathed and revered by many others.

So, what was it that drew me to this game? I am a self-described Trekker and this game IMHO was the best simulation of ‘Star Trek’-style starship combat ever made. The game was so detailed that it really gave players a sense that the simulation could be based on actual starships.  For the analytical players , the tactics were rich and engaging with new strategies to consider with every new ship design.

Games like this often come with a rulebook so large that you might be killed if you were to fall asleep while reading it. SFB is no exception. The original game included ships from only seven races common…

LotR/Hobbit SBG Tournament

Not a whole lot to post this week. I'm starting on the late war elements of my US Rifles list. This will be used at the next FoWSA tournament.  More about that in a later post.

Back in June, the local Lord of the Rings/Hobbit SBG group held a tournament. Most of the players have moved on to play more Bolt Action but we all wanted to get together again for some fun in Middle Earth. I brought my venerable Wood Elf army, led by Legolas and Thranduil. I really love those guys!

The new Hobbit rules have not been kind to the Wood Elves. They have weak armor ratings (3) but are supposed to be balanced with a strong ranged attack from massed archery. Most of the players are bringing armies with much higher armor ratings (5 minimum, 6-7 for many heroes) such as Easterlings and Dwarves. Monsters such as Trolls and Dragons have new special attacks that are even more effective to the squishy elves. Given the style of play that has developed, the Wood Elves just really aren't a competitive…