Skip to main content

Gulf Strike - Turns 3 and 4

The latest report from our Gulf Strike game.  The "Soviet-Persian War" continues with increasing casualties on both sides. The Iranians are running out of supplies, while the Soviets are hitting the Iranian armor divisions with everything they got. Here is a brief recap of the events from turns 3 and 4.

Turn 3:

  • On Land: Continued grinding in the north. Iranians continue to take damage from Soviet ground and air forces. An ill advised counter-attack around Tubriz causes more damage to the Iranian attackers than Soviets. US Special Forces raid the Yemen base where the Tu-26 Backfire bombers are stationed, disabling the airfield for one turn. Soviet bombers start dropping mines in the Persian Gulf. The 82nd Airborne division arrives on Iranian soil in port city of Konark on the gulf but is out of supply due to Soviet diesel subs patrolling the straits. 
  • In Air: The Iranian F-14 gets into a decent position to call interceptors from Tehran and this helps support the ground forces around the Caspian Sea. F-5s launched from Tehran are able to intercept the Soviet EDWA units and the Soviet air offensive is slowed.
  • At Sea: The Iranians find one of the Soviet diesel subs and sinks it. A single remaining sub is still a problem and blocks transports into Gulf. It also manages to find and sink the American destroyer. The Kitty Hawk sinks a old Soviet Cruiser. 
I started keeping track of my casualties per turn. This is the cumulative casualties for the US-Iranian forces up to turn 3.


Turn 4:

  • On Land: More grinding on the northern front. Soviet attacks at Basht, Kanjan, and Tubriz. Intense fighting in the mountains around Mashud. The Soviet divisions hammer down Iranians and casualties mount. US Special Forces attack Yemen base again and forcing the Tu-26 Backfires to fall back to bases in Afghanistan.  The 82nd Airborne is still out of supply and losing effectiveness due to lack of resources. The Iranians take 15 hits in a single turn which forces the initiative to pass to the Soviets. The Iranians are now reacting to Soviet actions. Also, Iran runs out of supply before the turn ends and must wait until the next turn begins to resupply.
  • At Sea: Soviet sub in the gulf strait is still a problem. The remaining Iranian ships start a hunt for the sub but are unable to put a hit on it.
  • In Air: Air unit continue to support ground troops. Iranians are forced to limit air support due to lack of supply. The Iranians send their P-3 aircraft to sink the sub but only manages to damage it. The Tu-26s launch anti-ship missiles to sink an Iranian corvette. Man talk about overkill!
Here is the damage report for turn 4

I took a short video of the game action and posted it in the previous post. It wasn't playable in that post because it was hosted on Google photos. But here it is again, hosted on YouTube and should work now. The next post will cover turns 5-6 and possibly 7.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog is going on a Permanent Vacation

Ok, I haven't had any comments on this blog on an post for many, many months. The only post that seems to get any traffic is my 2015 post about Star Fleet Battles.  I don't fully understand why that post has generated so much interest, while the rest of my content has been mostly ignored.  Clearly, this has not been an successful blog. I get much more traffic with my Facebook content and the YouTube channel is showing promise. Perhaps the subjects of my posts have been too random. I may need to focus on a specific game or subject. Maybe I didn't generate enough posts to keep the audience connected. Whatever the case, I am ending this blog with this final post.  I'm calling it a 'permanent vacation' because the blog and posts will still be here, though I will not be adding any new content. I might continue to comment on the SFB post since that is still generating traffic 3 years after it was published. To anyone who might still be reading, I say 'Thank

ReaperCon - Live Vlogging

Hey all! This year, I made the trip to ReaperCon in Denton, Texas.  This is new for me because I have never been to this convention and I am more focused on the gaming rather than the painting segment of the hobby. But I do want to improve my painting skills and learning from better painters is a way to improve. Another new challenge was that I decided to do a video blog of my experience at ReaperCon. aka a 'VLOG'.  This is a new way to share content with friends and hobbyists and it was exciting to try. And I was able to take the trip with my brother who lives out of state, that made it fun as well. We took classes, painted figs, took the factory tour, and entered the painting competition all in just three days! Below is the link to the VLOG playlist. Most the videos are less than 10 minutes long. All the videos together comes out to 56 minutes if you play them all in order. Enjoy!

Team Yankee Night

Our local Team Yankee community has a regular game night called 'Cold War Thursdays'. I was able to make it out to the store about a month ago. Chris had enough USMC figs to make a 75 point list for me to use. He took an equivalent West German force. We played out a NATO-v-NATO version of the Hasty Attack scenario. I am currently building a list that is heavy on Cobras and Hueys. Chris had plenty of air units to choose from. So, I grabbed all the Hueys and deployed them with a platoon of Marines loaded inside. The Leopards were absolutely deadly! The majority of my force was wiped out by three of them. My Humvees were the only unit that could even put a scratch on them. The Hueys were useful at moving troops forward quickly. I was able to drop the Marines nearby an objective. There was a squad of grenadiers inside a house close enough to still hold the objective. Except for the Leopards, most of the Germans were wiped out quickly. The Marines cleared the hou